No of Public CPD Points: 12
Practice Area: Alternative Dispute Resolution
Training Level: General
About the Conference
This inaugural Conference aid to promote awareness of Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) processes, and provide a forum for both local and international ADR practitioners to share their practices. It will bring together members of the judiciary, experienced practitioners, renowned academics and key policy-makers from Singapore and beyond to reflect on existing policies and shape policies for the future. In recent years, ADR has been used widely in Singapore and globally to resolve personal and business conflicts. New ADR initiatives have also emerged, such as Collaborative Law, which enables parties to co-operate to achieve a consensual settlement which best meets the specific needs of all affected parties, by working with their lawyers and other professionals without resorting tolitigation.
The Conference will also feature a public forum on “Amicable ADR and You” with presentations by distinguished speakers including Associate Professor Ho Peng Kee, the Honourable Member of Parliament Ellen Lee and the Honourable Chief District Judge Tan Siong Thye. An ADR Awareness Exhibition will also be held in conjunction with the public forum showcasing the various ADR options available.
Some of the issues to be discussed at the Conference include the following:
· The Future of ADR in 2020
· Comparative ADR in the Asia-Pacific Region
· Collaborative Law – Resolving Disputes without Trial
· Mediation Advocacy: Getting the best results for your clientswithout going to trial
· ADR and the Criminal Justice System
· Through the mirror of experience: Advanced mediation tools andtechniques
· Lawyers as Negotiators – The good and bad news
· Developing the Arbitration Scene: Access to Justice
· Mediation: Evaluative or Facilitative or both
· The Court’s role in Promoting ADR: Trends and Development aroundthe world
Some of our speakers featured in the Conference include:
· The Honourable Justice Belinda Ang, Chairperson, Singapore Mediation Centre
· The Honourable Justice Judith Prakash, Judge, Supreme Court of Singapore
· Wong Meng Meng SC, President, Law Society of Singapore
· The Honourable Judicial Commissioner VinodhCoomaraswamy, Supreme Court of
· George Lim SC, Partner, Wee Tay & Lim
· Leslie Chew, Senior District Judge, Subordinate Courts of Singapore
· Lok Vi Ming SC, Partner (Litigation & Arbitration), Rodyk & Davidson LLP
· Michael Leathes, Honorary Chair, International Mediation Institute
· David Hodson, Partner at The International Family Law Group LLP
· Catherine Gale, Law Council President, Australia
· Dr Colin Ong, President of the Arbitration Association, Brunei Darussalam
· Montri Sillapamahabundit, Judge, Thai Mediation Centre
· Gunavathi Subramaniam, Malaysian Mediation Centre
· Campbell Bridge, Senior Counsel, Maurice Byers Chambers, Australia
Who Should Attend
Judges, lawyers, ADR practitioners, public servants, accountants and financial experts, psychologists and child development specialists. Members of the public interested in learning about the different options available to them to resolve their legal disputes towards a satisfactory conclusion may attend the Public Lecture.
Where and When and Organisers
4-5 October 2012, at the Auditorium, Supreme Court of Singapore. The conference is jointly organised by the Singapore Judiciary, the Law Society of Singapore, the Singapore Mediation Centre, the Singapore Academy of Law and the Community Mediation Centre of the Ministry of Law.
To register, please visit our conference website: http://www.lawsociety.org.sg/conference/ADR/
To download the brochure, please click here
For queries, please contact the Conference Secretariat at 5Cs@lawsoc.org.sg or contact us at 6530 0230/ 239.
Admin Note to Singapore Practioners in relation to the Mandatory CPD scheme
This programme is an Accredited CPD Activity under the SILE’s CPD Scheme. In order to attain the full 12 Public CPD Points allocated for this event, eligible registrants will need to be present for the entire duration of the course. Please note that partial points will not be allocated for partial attendance of this event.
For more information on the CPD Scheme, including details of the Attendance Policy, please visit: www.silecpdcentre.org.sg