This is an Online Learning Programme and registration is on-going. The website link to our e-Learning portal will be emailed to you within 1 - 2 working days after registration/payment has been received and you may log-in immediately to view the multimedia programme.
Practice Area: Ethics and Professional Responsibility Training Level: General
Duration: 89 minutes
About the Programme
The new Part VA of the Legal Profession Act on Prevention of Money Laundering came into effect together with the Legal Profession (Prevention of Money Laundering and Financing of Terrorism) Rules on 23 May 2015. The legislative framework applies to both Singapore lawyers and foreign lawyers, as well as Singapore law practices and foreign law practices.
It is important for lawyers to understand their obligations under the legislation and how to apply these Rules in practice. Key areas for lawyers to be mindful of are the obligations to perform customer due diligence, and in some situations, enhanced due diligence, record keeping and obligations to file suspicious transaction reports.
- Understand the new legislative framework and take cognizance of the key areas
- Know what necessary steps need to be taken in carrying out customer due diligence measures
- Understand the new legislative framework and how it applies to lawyers and law practices
- Learn how to carry out customer due diligence measures, and understand statutory obligations to retain records, and to file a suspicious transaction report with the authorities if applicable
Yeoh Lian Chuan – Counsel, Allen & Overy LLP
Eric Chan – Partner, Shook Lin & Bok LLP
1. Only PayPal & GIRO - DDA payments are accepted for e-Learning. (Please ensure that your firm/organization has a standing GIRO - DDA arrangement with The Law Society of Singapore.)
2. For more information on private CPD points, please refer to: http://www.silecpdcentre.sg/Lawyer/CPD-Requirement/Private-CPD-Points/
3. To know how to claim private CPD points, please refer to: http://www.silecpdcentre.sg/Documents/CPD%20Guides/Claiming_Private_CPD_Points.pdf